UBC Arts Co-op Program

Funding Resources

Funding for co-op students is the responsibility of the employer. However, some federal, provincial, and private organizations offer subsidies and grants to hire to students.

Service Canada: Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) Program

Canada Summer Jobs is an initiative of the Summer Work Experience program. It provides funding for not-for-profit organizations, public-sector employers, and small businesses with 50 or fewer employees to create high-quality summer job opportunities for students between the ages of 15 and 30. For more information visit the Service Canada website.

Canadian Heritage: Young Canada Works (YCW) Program

Young Canada Works (YCW) wage subsidies are dedicated to offering summer jobs and internships to Canadian students and graduates, allowing them to gain valuable experience while putting their skills to the test. From an employer’s perspective, fresh ideas and competitive skills are made available.

Young Canada Works (YCW) sponsors 2 summer job programs for students:

BC Arts Council: Early Career Development

Project assistance program “Component I: Co-op Placements” provides arts and cultural organizations from across British Columbia with support in hiring students through co-op placements for professional work experiences. Visit the BC Arts Council website for more info.

BC Tech Co-op Grants

Delivered through co-op departments at BC post- secondary institutions, the program encourages student training and job readiness by providing grant incentives to small technology firms with 50 or less employees to recruit and train co-op students. Employers receive a BC Tech Co-op Grant of $2,700, which is up to 25% of the student’s salary, with the remaining 75% to be paid by the employer. For full details, click here.

Mitacs Accelerate

Support your hiring of a graduate co-op student with Mitacs Accelerate – a national internship program which connects companies and other organizations with Canada’s universities.

For each 4-month co-op term, your organization contributes $7,500 which is matched by Mitacs. During an Accelerate internship, the student spends about half the term on site at your workplace, working on the research issue in question and collecting data. For the balance of the time, the student will spend at UBC, further advancing the research under the guidance of a faculty supervisor.

For more details on the Mitacs Accelerate internship program, click here.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Faculty of Arts
Buchanan A240
1866 Main Mall,
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1, Canada
Tel: 604.822.3828
Arts Co-op Program
Buchanan C121
1866 Main Mall,
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1, Canada
Tel: 604.822.1529
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC  | © Copyright The University of British Columbia