SWPP Funding

The Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) funds co-op positions across Canada, through federal funding of $73 million intended to create up to 10,000 positions over 4 years.

Enhanced Access & Flexibility During COVID-19

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) has introduced some temporary changes to SWPP to make it easier for employers to access funding.

  • Pre-approval – Apply for funding before you’ve selected a candidate, so that you can fast-track the process.
  • Subsidies in advance – Non-profits and SMEs (500 or less employees) can receive up to 75% of the wage subsidy up-front and the remaining 25% midway through the work term.
  • Shorter work terms – Postpone the start date, rather than cancelling the position altogether, if you’re not able to move forward with the full term as planned.
  • Expanded employer eligibility – Post-secondary institutions (universities, colleges and polytechnics) can access funding to provide meaningful work terms to students.
  • Waiving of “net new” requirement – Funding is now available to all eligible placements, with no requirement to demonstrate that student hiring would be more than the previous year.
  • Remote work locations – Students funded by SWPP can work from home.

These changes are in effect until March 31, 2021.

Subsidy Amount

As part of the federal government’s COVID-19 response, SWPP is now able to cover 75% of all student placements to a maximum of $7,500 per placement.

To access the funding, apply through one of the following organizations:

(1) TechNation

Program Name: Career Ready

An eligible employer must be willing to provide a quality work experience in role which immerses a student in the use of technology. Tech and non-tech focused organizations are encouraged to apply.

Roles can be in the fields of:

  • Arts & Interdisciplinary
  • Business & Business Technology Management
  • Computer Science & Engineering
  • Computer Systems Technology

(2) Information and Communication Technology Council (ICTC)

Program Name: WIL Digital

The program targets employers whose core business is in emerging IT and ICT-digital sectors. Alternatively, the position may still be eligible if the application clearly demonstrates that the position offered is directly involved in the development or implementation of an emerging technology.

(4) Environmental Careers Organization of Canada (ECO Canada)

Program Name: CO-OP Program

This program supports employers and post-secondary partners to help students kick-start their career path in the environmental sector.

(5) Biotalent Canada

Program Name: Student Work Placement Program

To qualify, either the employer or the co-op position itself needs to have a biotechnology focus.

(6) Electricity Human Resources Canada (EHRC)

Program Name: Empowering Futures

This funding is intended to create work-integrated learning opportunities in the electricity sector.

(7) Mining Industry Human Resources Council (MiHR)

Program Name: Gearing Up

Employers must be Canadian-owned or a Canadian subsidiary, and in one of the following categories:

  • Small, medium or large companies involved in the mining or mineral exploration sector;
  • Post-secondary educational institution; or
  • Not-for profit organization.

(8) Magnet Student Work Placement Program

Program Name: Magnet Student Work Placement Program

The program is delivered by Magnet along with a range of recognized associations and organizations who represent key industries and sectors in Canada.

Together, they partner with colleges, universities, polytechnics and CEGEPs to:

  • Provide wage subsidies to employers that offer quality student work placements
  • Create recruitment opportunities to match students to the right placements
  • Convene educators and employers to help align Post Secondary Education curricula to the skills needs of industry

(9) Venture for Canada

Program Name: Student Work-Integrated Learning Program

Funding is available to a range of employers across Canada:

  • You’re an SME, start-up, social enterprise, nonprofit, or charity
  • Your business is located in BC, AB, MB, SK, NB, NS, PEI, or NL
  • You have between 1 - 500 employees
  • You can provide an internship opportunity that allows Venture Canada interns to contribute to new initiatives or add new value to your organization.
  • All industries welcome